Developing Managers and Creating Leaders to Inspire, Create, Shine
What is Executive Mentoring?
Mentoring and coaching is a natural part of life. Every successful athlete and performer today has a mentor and coach of some sort. Sporting teams have coaches. In fact, if you think about your own situation, you already have various people that you turn to for advice and guidance such as family members or colleagues – people you trust, respect and whose knowledge, wisdom and skills you value.
Executive and/or Business mentoring is the formalization of this natural process. It’s like having someone “running alongside you”, believing in you, providing feedback, perspective and insights that can really make a difference to your success. The mentor supports, encourages and accelerates your progress and results. It is a strategic partnership – professionally and personally in outlook.
How does this approach differ from Executive Coaching or Consulting?
Mentoring not only addresses business issues and processes, but can take into account personal needs and goals. Rather than suggesting what should be done (coaching), through questioning and reflection, mentoring leads to professional and personal growth that allows you to make better, more informed decisions for yourself.
What can you expect from Mentoring? (some examples)
- Initially discuss roles, expectations and develop relationships
- Skilled questions to help clarify and expand thinking
- Non-judgmental listening and response to what you say
- High levels of expertise and knowledge management
- A push when you need it
- Complete honesty, giving you a picture of yourself, which may be difficult to find elsewhere
- Overcome challenges and break any limiting behaviour patterns
- Help identify the important from the urgent
- Clarification of agreed outcomes
What can you NOT expect from Mentoring? (some examples)
- Pre-determined expectations
- Someone to do your job for you
- Counselling or any kind of therapy
- A “talk only” session, which does not change anything
What could you bring to the process?
- An open mind
- An idea of what you want from the sessions
- Willingness to build a trusting relationship
- A commitment to change
- A desire to improve and achieve agreed outcomes
What are the benefits of Executive Mentoring?
You have someone who can give you an impartial perspective and brainstorm with you on ways to move ahead. Mentoring provides quick, convenient learning of ideas, techniques and understandings that might take weeks in management seminars. The key benefit is personalization – mentoring/coaching is customized to the specific issues and needs that you have. You will also feel a lot better about life in general as some of the irritations of everyday business and personal life may be addressed if you wish.
Service Provision Overview
The following are areas where I mentor individuals or groups – many of these are interwoven:
- Leadership Development – as distinct from Management Development – developing Managers, creating Leaders
- Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Relationship-Management, Personality Profiling and Behaviour-Management
- Business Mentoring, Planning and Organisational Development
- Strategic Planning and Change Management
- The People Aspect of Performance Management – Sustainability
- Emotional Intelligence
- Engagement – Measurement & Strategies for Improvement – towards Accountability and Responsibility
- Career Management and Transition
- Professional Health and Well Being
- Model for Aligning Expectations and Outcomes
- Developing High Performing Teams
- Designing & Facilitating Staff Surveys
- Shifting Thinking from Tactical to Strategic Acceleration
- Development of Guiding Principles (Key Values)
- Culture Change
- Developing Trust through Character and Competence
- Conflict Resolution and Assertiveness Skills
- Developing Positive Attitudes
- The Importance of Interpersonal Relationships
- Prioritising the Important From the Urgent
- Working in the C Zone – Calm, Controlled, Competent and Challenged
- Workplace Counselling
- Family Business Advisory
By way of the following examples we offer some suggestions on Leadership growth areas – an area which is increasingly vital for the progression and success of professionals in today’s business community.
Leadership Growth Areas – some suggestions
Below are some potential areas for Leadership growth and development. These are simply suggestions –to be thought provokers and explored fully – so any program would be flexible and designed to meet client needs. It is therefore difficult to be too precise ahead of time. However, the overview document (below) provides areas that could be covered with subsequent outcomes.
|Potential Development Areas||Outcomes|
|Become more aware of self in different situations. Understand our personalities. Develop the ability to determine other peoples’ profile & therefore be better able to communicate, connect and positively influence|
Accountability & Responsibility
|Establish the factors that determine high levels of engagement and self-motivation and how they can be implemented.|
|Role of Leadership (as distinct from Management)||Identify and develop the skills, abilities and responsibilities of effective leadership|
Aligning Expectations & Achievement
|Use a process and tool that works through key stages from the vision to developing strategies setting and achieving goals and satisfying accountabilities|
|How to develop and maintain a positive attitude and become the best we can be through an understanding of how thinking and self-talk determines outcomes|
|Difference between aggressive, passive and assertive communication. Practical examples and strategies in dealing with each.|
Important vs. Urgent
|Really priority management. How we plan and organise our work. How we can waste and save time. Importance of energy management|
As everyone’s challenges, needs and wants are different, we do not believe in ‘off the shelf packages’ – and take our work very seriously with very committed clients.
So if you are serious about your professional life, then ask yourself the question – do you want a mentor and sounding board to address the challenges you may have identified here?
As a result of this discussion we will, together, develop a plan of action – with goals and strategies – that is right for you and/or your team member(s).
And please remember – without a plan, you are a tourist.